Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Wind: another word for HOLY #@$%^

March 15th, 2011

Holy Hell What A Storm!!!!! Last night we had a pretty damnable storm. There was some rain, but the lackluster waterfall could not hold a candle to the wind...most likely because the wind would have blown out the flame and then would have sent the candle flying to China just out of spite.
Luckily due, I believe, mostly to luck (all of which I probably cashed in last night) my house is in tack. Unfortunately, destruction was evident throughout all of my Town. Roofs had blown off houses and merchant buildings, tin roofing lay crumpled everywhere. Houses with a straw roof found that their roof could be located all over the street and, if they were lucky, trapped in larger clumps between structures. A good number of structures collapsed under the gale force that swept through Karaga. Buildings freshly constructed crumbled, old clay houses vanished, and many others are simply missing crucial walls.
The nutrition center I work at resembled a good sampling of the carnage I saw throughout Karaga. The roof to the patio was blown off and made an new acquaintance with a nearby roof, leaving a gaping hole where they met. Madam Kate's future mineral (soda) stand returned the earth in which its bricks were originally made. Only a few bricks stood where there were once walls and where we had planned to roof today. Trees were splintered, branches everywhere reminding me of the self-trimming tree that once stood in my backyard back in Phoenix.
Though an actual cone shaped tornado did not pass through town, if you saw what I saw you would have definitely thought one had...or at least that you were standing on a long forgotten movie set for Twister.
Luckily, no one seems to be hurt. The worst of it is in the viewing of the damage to building, homes, stores, nutrition center. We count our blessings where we can find them.
Sadly, the battery to camera is dead and the wind took with it at least five, so far, power poles. I can not charge the battery and provide you with pictures. Maybe I am not meant to take a visual document of this “tragedy” but only to write about it (computer is fully charged) and then take picture when things are rebuilt, restored, and shiny once again. Think of me in the next couple days as power is not expected to be back again for the remainder of the week, it is still hot and my room still has a heat absorbing west wall.

Love and miss you all

1 comment:

  1. Well, I'm very glad that you, you're friends and neighbors are all okay after that! It does not sound like fun at all! Has anyone mentioned that things like this have happened there before? I'm just wondering if you have to worry about it happening again any time soon? (I'm just a ray of sunshine, aren't I?) Well, here's hoping you get power back sooner rather than later! And, here's hoping the rebuilding goes smoothly!

    (Wow! I sure used a lot of exclamation points in that paragraph! LOL!)

    By the way, you've inspired me to try blogging again ... which I'm doing here on Blogspot.

    ReplyDelete