Saturday, September 17, 2011

Past the hump...all down hill from here

I remember this time last year I was saying to myself "Wow! Its has been four months, 23 to go." Now, today, it is "HOLY (censored)! It has been 16 months! Where did the time go. Do I have enough time to start another project? What will I do for a job 9 months from now???"

The poultry coop is doing great. Yesterday we had 41 eggs, which means almost half the 200 birds are laying and the rest should be on their way shortly. We finally got around to buying egg crates and Karim is making his way through the community to let them know that eggs are for sale. Still keeping my fingers crossed as buying eggs from us requires a change in routine....and Ghanians do not like change (don't believe me,try to get one to eat a meal that is not traditional, you'll see).

I have spent a lot of time traveling these past couple of months. In July, my family came to visit. BEST TWO WEEKS EVER! Despite some bumps in the road (literal and figurative), one mobbed crowd at the metro mass, and a thieving baboon all seemed to go well. It was nice to finally get a chance to be a tourist in this country and it was definitely better with family (especially since they hauled my drum back to the states for me).
The end of August was spent in Accra...part medical and part party. All of the Northern region went to our mid-service medical and turns out I am healthy. The only down side was the dental cleaning, whatever instrument he used to clean my teeth with was like high powered nails on a chalkboard on my teeth. I cringed the entire time and had ringing in my ears for a bit afterward. August 30th was the big celebration for Peace Corps 50th, 50 years in Ghana. The swearing in of the new volunteers took place at the Ambassador's house. I love going to the Ambassador's house, events at his house mean wine, good food, and probably a dessert (in this case it was cake).

One last thing before I sign off...prepare! Prepare! I am coming home for a Christmas and am staying through the first couple of weeks in January. See you all in a couple of months.

No comments:

Post a Comment