Friday, June 11, 2010

Lost My Camera

My camera is nowhere to be found....I am pretty bummed about it. Hopefully my parents can send me a new digital soon.

Vision quest was fun. There are goats everywhere and the children in the village are a lot of fun. We made paper airplanes for a bunch of school children. They really enjoyed them and took great care to make sure the planes did not get damaged when they joined in on some other games being played during their break. I think my origami skills might get handy when/if I get out of training and to my permanent site! woot.

Northern Ghana is nicer weather wise. Less humidity. If I could swing it, I would like to have a site somewhere in the north. Though If my luck is anything like my camera keeping skills I will probably end up in the south.

We start training next week! We will finally learn more about our assignments, what we will be doing, language that we actually need to learn (Twi was not the spoken language in the region of my vision quest), and hopefully most questions will get answered.

It is kind of expensive to buy Ghanaian cards and even more expensive to mail them out. So if you do not get a card right away please do not let your feelings get hurt. Just remember my immediate family is big and so is their priority. My PD peeps, I will try to send a card to the department I have not forgotten about you....just living on a volunteer's salary.

I tried goat meat. Not my favorite meat in the world. A little grainy and fatty. The goats are everywhere in Ghana. This morning there were hundreds of them just sleeping in the roads. The metro (a gov't bus w/o AC) had to go slow while the goats woke up and moved out of the way...but the metro did not slow for the dog in the road (poor doggy). I hear the dogs here are mean though, and if I do not want rabies I should keep a healthy distance from them.

If any of you are thinking "Hey, lets send a care package" here are some things I found that are not sold here but would be nifty to have:

Headlamp (for going potty in the dark)
Nutella
Shampoo
Sun Lotion Higher than 20spf
Tuna or Chicken in those serving size bags located next to the canned tuna in your local store The bagged ones would totally be sweet!!)
Crystal Light packets
Cookies
Hard Candy

Anything fun or homey

4 comments:

  1. I just KNEW you'd Looooove goat meat! 0.o Very sorry to hear about the camera. Even sorrier about the pics that were on it. And now that I know that we can send food-ish items, I'll round something up for ya. With all the goats around there, you might want to keep the old cowboy motto in mind -- "always drink up-stream from the herd."

    It sounds like a lot of fun so far. ((((((((((Katherine)))))))))))) keep making us look good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there!!
    Sorry to hear about your camera.. and I cannot believe you dont like mutton! I should've introduced you to that before you left! lol Glad you made it safely and are enjoying the cooler northern weather. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers!

    Take care..
    Cher

    p.s. the education tool you developed was a hit with the guys in jail. They and I appreciate the time and effort you took to research and develop! :) good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. CATHERINE!! I miss you! A guy in Arizona the other day got in trouble for buying lion meat from Africa to make lion burgers at his restaurant during the world cup. He probably wouldn't have had the same problem if he had just bought goat meat.

    love you tons, don't forget to update this thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Cher - Though I don't know you, I thought I'd mention; goat and mutton definitely do NOT taste the same! I've had both, mutton is far better! LOL.

    I wonder how DOTS would travel. Probably just end up stuck in one huge, chewy lump...

    ReplyDelete